Lipids and Other Tests That Require Fasting
1. The test should not be done if you have an acute infection (such as a cold or flu), or if you have been seriously ill in the week prior to the test.
2. You should be on a normal diet for at least one week prior to the test, with a minimal alcohol intake during that period.
3. Have nothing to eat or drink except water for approximately 12 hours prior to the test.
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test
1. Call a Patient Service Center to schedule an appointment for a glucose tolerance test.
2. Patient should eat a carbohydrate-loaded diet for three consecutive days prior to the test.
A sample menu might include:
- Breakfast: Cereal, milk, sugar, bread & toast
- Lunch: Meat, cheese, egg, beverage, desert
- Dinner: Meat, vegetable, potato, rice, noodles, bread, rolls, beverage, desert
6. No food or drink except water after 8:00 pm the night before the test.
7. No coffee, smoking or unusual exercise for 8 hours before the procedure or during the test period. Patient must remain at specimen collection station until completion of all drawings.
8. Patient may have nothing by mouth except water during the test period.